Monday, March 25, 2013

The Other Sister


My astrological sign is Leo the Lion and as much as I do not base my life on astrological signs, there is a lot of truth in the synopsis of what a Leo represents: tenacity, egoism, leader…
If I could be any person that has existed I would choose Julia Child as she encompassed not only a life of risks and ultimate successes but also a period in history that I love at her peak of career in the 1950s and 60s. She as a woman fighting the prejudices and barriers of a career driven individual is a great example of graceful feminism.

My experiences result in who I am today. A colorful upbringing of eccentricity, creativity and lack of wealth made me see the world as a place full of imagination and possibility. Life was sweeter because not every desire was instantly granted and where there wasn’t, love and laughter filled in the gaps. Far from perfect and plenty of rocky roads along the way, make me appreciate the small things of life.
Some facts about me: I am a 34 year old single woman who lives with her brother and three miniature dachshunds. 



I love my Craftsman era two story stucco house in the middle of the urban city of Minneapolis. There is a rough around the edges melting pot of nitty gritty realness about my neighborhood. A mixture of all walks of life and cultures and orientations sharing  geographical space. A hip, yuppie café resides on the same block as an African Braid shop and an Italian mom and pop café where simple, filling fare is served without pretension. I share a lot of wonderful moments with my five other siblings who live in the cities and enjoy coffee, photography, walks, estate sales, farmers markets and hole in the wall restaurants with me. As mentioned by my brilliant compadre, we are neighbors and partake in this vital and raw experience together.

My life’s ambition is to be a hedonist. Enjoy my god given talents and love and live to my fullest potential. With that begins this blog – an outpouring of my quotidian experiences to hopefully inspire others in their own life’s journey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment